Mission Statement: “To provide good quality childcare and education in an Islamic Environment in accordance with Qur’an and Sunnah in emerging Muslim Communities”
In South Africa almost 10% of the country’s total populations (4.5 Million) are children from birth to four years old who are supposed to be attending pre-schools or Early Childhood Development (ECD) programme. According to the Department of Education only 35% have access to ECD program while many do not have access especially those in rural areas.
The earliest years represent the period of the most dramatic development in the Individual’s life. At the same time…these are the years of greatest vulnerability. If the young child is surrounded by supportive and positive influences. it is likely that she/he will survive and thrive. These outcomes, surviving and thriving, are, to a very large extent dependent upon how well-equipped families, especially primary caregivers, are to care for, respond to and manage the needs of young children from birth onwards.’
The World Assembly of Muslim Youth has since its inception in 2001 been involved in ECD educator training, facilitating and establishing of ECD centres.
WAMY currently runs 2 pre-schools namely Umlazi Siyasiza Pre-school and Good hope in Malagazi with a total of 146 learners.
Aim of the program
"The future of any society depends on its ability to foster health and well being of the next generation. We have a collective responsibility to protect our children and help them grow in a secure environment, failure to do so will result in our future prosperity and security being at higher risk"
Since inception WAMY has trained over 50 ECD practitioners and helped to establish 32 ECD centres.
This certificate program is aimed at training educators in Early Childhood Development. The program is modular and runs for 1 year. It seeks to:
• Provide Early Childhood Development training for previously disadvantaged Sectors
• Facilitate active learning in Early Childhood Development
• Manage the learning program in Early Childhood Development centre
• To facilitate healthy development in Early Childhood learning.
Who Can join this program?
• Teachers working in the ECD field with only practical experience; with no or inadequate training.
• Teachers planning a career change or who have an interest in ECD (ages 3-6 years).
• Students who are interested to start a career in ECD.
• Persons who are interested in starting a Daycare Centrum.